15/12/10

Get Married/ Be married / Marry


A lot of people get confused about how to use these words. Maybe this will help.


to marry (someone)- this is the general verb. It is the time when people come together as husband and wife. Do not say I married with someone. It is not correct. And do not say I married to someone. It is also incorrect.
Correct example: I married Sam 3 years ago.

to get married- this talks about the time two people got married. It makes us think of the wedding.

Correct example: I got married.

to get married to (someone)- We think of who was married in the wedding. Do not say I got married with someone. It is incorrect.

Correct example: I got married to Sam.

to get married in (someplace)- We think of where the wedding took place.

Correct Example: I got married in Hawaii.

to be married- This means a state of being. Are you married or are you single?

Correct Example: I am married.

to be married (to someone)- Also state of being. But who is married to you?

Correct Example: I am married to Sam.

Conclusion- When you use to marry or to get married, think about the wedding. When you use to be married, think about the person's life now.


Note:When I see "marry with" I automatically assume that person is a non-native speaker of English, because no one else ever uses that phrasing in the sense of being married to someone.
I have seen it where the 'with' is introducing a prepositional phrase (We will marry with parental consent) but NEVER followed by the person (I am married with Tom). That is considered an incorrect usage (regardless of whether or not it is actually grammatically correct).


Check Your Understanding

Fill in the blanks with the correct form of marry. Check your answers in the comments of the post.

1. Is Jim single or married? He___________ .

2. Who did he marry? He____________ Susan.


3. Where did he get married? He_________________ London.


4. Is Anna single? No, she____________ .


5. Who is Anna married to? She_______________ Juan.


6. What is Jolene going to do this Saturday? She is going to_________ Mike.

1 comentario:

  1. These are the keys for the activity:
    1 is married, 2 married, 3 got married in, 4 is married, 5 is married to, 6 marry.

    ResponderEliminar